Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Weekly Log 1-31-11 to 2-6-11

Monday: 8 miles - Saunderstown roads alone.  I drove a little further south to run around the Narrow River in Narragansett, but conditions did not allow for it (no shoulders or clear sidewalks).  I turned around and began running from the Jamestown Bridge park and ride.  I wanted an easy recovery run (hilly runs the previous two days) so I headed north on 1A and then turned left onto Gilbert Stuart Road.  I was feeling loose, and decided to run up the big hill and back down.  I then turned right onto Snuff Mill Road and began the long climb up to 1A.  So much for keeping it easy!  Not knowing the distance, I guessed I was running 7:30 pace, and so I pushed on to run the Plum Beach neighborhood roads (which included two more big hills).  I reached my car in 59:59 and when I mapped my course online it was 7.98 miles.  Pretty good guess! 

Tuesday: 0 - time and weather not cooperating

Wednesday: 0 - I think treadmill would be the only option for RI'ers today. 

Thursday: 10 miles - Saunderstown and Wickford roads alone.  I'm happy that I got a good run in.  The conditions were not great - cold (25 degrees, cloudy, and windy) and the roads were barely tolerable (ice,  slush, no shoulder, questionable drivers).  I have to say though, the miles just fly by these days, and it feels like I'm running for half the time I really am.  Total time: 1:14:13. 

Friday: 7 miles - Saunderstown roads 5M and Rome Point icy glacier trails 2M solo.  My body was a little tired from Thursday's effort and also possibly from removing ice from my house on Wednesday.  I kept it easy today and enjoyed being outside in the sun and above freezing temperature.  I was planning on running all the trails at Rome Point, but the parking lot was a complete icy mess, and there was a minivan broken down in the entrance as well.  I parked at the park and ride yet again, ran 4 miles, then entered Rome Point.  The trail was frozen snow and ice.  I was in my road shoes, so I kept my pace to a controlled shuffle.  I stayed on the main trail and took a break at the beach.  Great day on the bay - I wish I had binoculars.  I shuffled back on the ice to the road, and then picked it up on the hill back to my car.  Total time: 56:00. 

Saturday: shoveling/axing ice and stacking wood cross training. 

Sunday: I was planning on the other run listed on coolrunning for this date.  Too bad I'm horribly unmotivated to run.  I'm so sick of roads - nothing sounds appealing.  Lounging in the sunny spots of my house. 
UPDATE: Ran 8 miles in Westerly (downtown to Avondale and back) while my parents and wife took the kids swimming at the Y.  Warm - 44 degrees, wet, and traffic.  It felt good to run though.  Total time: 1:00:13. 

Overview:  I'm still on pace for 40 miles a week, despite not enjoying my options for running these days. 

Weekly Total: 33 miles
Last Week: 40 miles
Year to Date: 199 miles

3 comments: