Thursday, June 16, 2011

Weekly Log 6-13-11 to 6-19-11

Monday: 5 miles - Rome Point trails alone.  I didn't feel sore after my long run yesterday, but I had no energy in my legs, and my mind was dwelling on a busy day at work, not on enjoying the outside.  My first 10 minutes were faster than I thought, and then I really dragged until I stopped for a break at the bay.  I regrouped, cut my run short, and ran back to my car. 

Tuesday: 9 miles - Saunderstown hilly roads alone.  I was excited to do my usual hill workout, but also a tad nervous I might have another bad run like yesterday.  My legs still felt tight and tired, but I was climbing the hills really well - maybe the best I've done to date.  I'm positive I descended better than ever - I'm trying to relax and let my body go, even when it feels out of control.  New PR 64:25. 

Wednesday: 0 - busy day: 1/2 day of work, daughter's last swim class (entire family swims), and son's kindergarten graduation.  Why is a day like this more tiring than a hard run? 

Thursday:  12 miles - Ryan Park trails alone.  Warm day - 86 - but dry.  My plan was to get some miles in today.  I took it easy and enjoyed the run except for the parts in the sun.  Total time: 1:33:50. 

Friday: 11 miles - Quonset Bike Path and Calf Pasture Point roads, trails, and beach solo.  I didn't have a real plan today, other than chasing some miles.  Somehow I decided to drive over to the bike path and while I was enroute, I determined I would throw in a 2 mile tempo (inspired by Muddy's Wed run?).  I wasn't sure what I wanted to run with: shirt?, old shoes? (wet), water bottle?  I chose yes, yes, and no.  I soon realized that no, yes, yes would have been preferred.  It was really humid, and the all day rain was just ending when I began my run.  I began my 2 mile tempo almost immediately.  I wasn't sure what to expect.  I glanced down at my watch after 1 mile and was pleased with the 6:09 I saw.  I tried to maintain my pace through the end of mile 2 and finished up in 12:24 - roughly my 5K pace.  I slowed down and began the scenic portion of my run.  I ditched my shirt and had a vision of cooling off in the bay when I got there.  I also decided that I would repeat the 2 mile tempo at the end of my run if I felt into it.  As soon as I turned onto the trail section, a furry black creature ran across the trail, looked at me, and quickly ran back into the woods.  I'm assuming it was a mink and not a fisher.  When I reached the bay, I was greeted by a screaming headwind.  It cooled me off instantly.  The tide was really low, and there was a Great Egret poking around.  I passed an upside down horseshoe crab trying to flip itself back over.  I had a moral debate if I should help it out or let nature run its course.  Turning around was welcomed as the wind now pushed me.  I didn't see the mink again in the woods.  As I approached the bike path, I was feeling good so I decided to attempt the 2nd 2 mile tempo.  I was running into the wind this time (didn't notice the tailwind on the first one) and I was hoping to just keep it sub 13 minutes.  My first mile was 6:31, but I was able to go faster on the second, for a 12:51 total.  I was pretty happy with my effort and finished the run in 1:19:17. 

Saturday: 0 - great hike with the kids in Parker Woodland - 3+ miles.  My son hiked or trail ran the entire way.  My daughter required shoulder rides at times, but whining was at a minimum for both.  Flacos and the park at night. 




Sunday: 11 miles - Burlingame trails (mostly northside) with my dad in the morning. I ran the two miles down to Poquiant Brook to meet my dad, who I found pishing at a flycatcher. We ran the North South Trail up to the white dot river trail and then looped back on the NST. Great weather, not too wet, and not too many deer flies. Thousands of young spring peepers on some sections of the trail. Total time: 1:29:46.


Weekly Total: 48 miles
Last Week: 61 miles
Year to Date: 1066 miles

1 comment: