Thursday, February 16, 2012

Weekly Log 2-13-12 to 2-19-12

Monday: 4+ miles - Ryan Park trails alone.  This was just a recovery run from the race on Sunday, but my legs were in pretty good shape.  I created a new 4 mile course utilizing trails around the fields - up Rte 4 trail, down trails between power line and fields, up through the fields, and down the trails between the pond and the fields.  Extremely fun trails. I did not like the 2 loose pit bull/labrador mix dogs I had to stop for.  The owners weren't pleasant either, but I was too afraid of them to say anything.  Total time: 32:30. 

Tuesday: 11 miles - Rome Point trails and beach solo.  I didn't have high expectations for this run, but my pace was decent throughout.  I was pleased to see only a couple of cars in the parking lot, and the people I did run into were friendly.  The high tide made things interesting, but I was able to avoid getting wet without changing my course.  Total time: 1:19:40.  This may be my fastest time on this newer 11 mile version. 

Wednesday: 9+ miles - Ryan Park trails alone.  I was thinking about a workout today, but my legs were finally feeling tired.  I decided to take it easy, and do a workout on Thursday.  I parked at the basketball court and did half of the 5 mile woods section.  I made the decision to go faster on the railbed.  I wasn't flying, but I picked it up noticeably.   I then did my new 4 mile fields loop.  I changed course to avoid people at one point.  Back on the railbed, I again picked up my pace, and then finished the other half of the woods.  I did stop briefly on the rooty pond trail because there were two scary looking german sheppards on the trail, leashed together.  A man politely held them back so I could tiptoe around them.  I realized that the dogs had K9 vests on, and the man was actually a police officer.  I'm glad I was friendly.  Total time: 1:08:03. 

Thursday: 10 miles - Quonset Bike Path workout with Calf Pasture Point long warm up and short cool down.  I'm feeling like a might be coming down with my wife's mild cold, so I set out for a loop around the point to see how my body felt.  Everything seemed fine, so after the 4.5 miles, I did my usual reverse ladder workout: 2 mile/1 mile/800/400.  Right at the start my legs didn't feel super fresh, but my breathing was under control so I kept it up, and I completed the 2 miles in 11:49.  After a short recovery, I turned around and ran the 1 mile.  My lungs were burning by the end of this, but I was happy with the 5:52.  I had a good start and finish to the 800.  I need to work on the middle. 2:52.  400 - 82.  Overall, I was happy with the results.  I did a brief 1 mile cool down around the harbor.  Total time: 1:11:16. 

Friday: 10 miles - Rome Point trails and beach alone.  I wasn't planning on this many miles, but that's what happens on a warm sunny day.  Total time: 1:14:52. 

Saturday: 21 miles - Long Burlingame Loop from my house alone.  I tried to find a partner for this run, but even though I couldn't find anyone do run it with me, I still decided to do it.  I don't have the chance to get a long run in like this very often.  I left my house at 9:20AM wearing a small backpack with water and snacks in it.  I never really noticed it on my run.  I ran down the road and entered Burlingame on the North South Trail off of Burdickville Road.  I was trying to go slow, and the terrain on this section definitely keeps it that way.  I then began the long descent to the river on a white dot trail.  I stopped after 16 minutes to check out 3 common mergansers in the river.  I haven't seen this species since I was kid - I was pretty excited.  I then followed the white dot through a pitch pine grove and back up to the main dirt path.  I forget how fun this deserted trail is, but the drawback is a large wet section.  Lots of rocks and cliffs that could be explored off the path.  Back on the main trail, I crossed Buckeye Brook and began the long climb up the hill.  I chuckled to myself thinking about how hard I used to work to get up this thing.  It's a decent climb, but much easier these days.  I eventually crossed Buckey Brook Rd (about 4 miles) and then went left on the Vin Gormley Trail.  I quickly turned right and took the old dirt road down to the north camp.  It felt really warm on the beach - full sun and sheltered from the wind.  I didn't linger and looped around the other side of the camp before taking the single track north back to VGT.  I then turned left and ran the usual fun sections of this trail down to Buckeye Brook Rd, then to Klondike Rd, all the way until the North South Trail split right before the main campground.  I was a little over 10 miles and 1:24 in.  I then did the mostly single track trails of last weekend's Brrr-lingame 15K, but in reverse.  I was able to make it back to the start/finish field without any wrong turns.  I stopped at a picnic table and took a brief break.  I was approx. 14 miles in at 1:57.  I enjoyed the warm sun, and ate my trail mix.  I might have lingered longer, but I saw hikers with a loose german sheppard that I didn't want to have to deal with, so I ran on.  The next two miles are on hard packed dirt and paved roads.  My legs, which were tired to begin with from my ambitious week, started to really fatigue here.  Finally I reached the woods again, but the technical single track of Sammy C's Trail did me in.  I was not having fun anymore.  This is where I needed a partner to distract me from my mental and physical pain.  I did get this distraction in the form of a friendly mtn biker.  I then had a good stretch on the Sammy C's extension #1 (another friendly mtn biker - what?) and extension #2.  It also helped that I knew I was getting close to home.  I took the new side trail up to where the old house used to be (how's that RI reference?).  I crossed Buckeye Brook Rd and took the old trail that my wife and I used to hike on alot when we first moved here.  I stopped on an open sunny rock to snack again and stretch my legs one more time before finishing.  I was at 2:44.  I thought I was 2 miles from my house, but I wasn't in a hurry, probably should have just finished.  Back running, I reached the main trail and saw another local trail runner!  I then turned right near the beaver pond, ran up the hill, and then took the road back down and up to my house.  Total time 2:54.  I thought this run would take about 3 hours - good guess!  I feel that this was a true 21 miles.  I'd love to do it again, but not alone.  Any takers? 

Sunday: 0 - drive up to NH in morning, walk in the afternoon. 

Weekly Total: 65 miles
Last Week: 59 miles
Year to Date: 387 miles


  1. Your killing me in mileage so far this year! Keep it up!

  2. Jonny, your trail fitness is astounding! How are the legs feeling? As long as we could get an early start, I would take you up on a future attempt.

  3. Jonny I'd love to go with you but I'd collapse at mile 15 and become food for the critters.