Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Weekly Log 5-14-12 to 5-20-12

Monday: 9 miles - Ryan Park trails alone.  Overcast, but it was much warmer than I thought - 72 degrees and muggy.  I ran shirtless for the first time since early April.  My lower legs were still tired after Saturday's epic trail run, so today I ran slow.  I also was having trouble deciding where to run, but I used Josh's blog as inspiration and settled on the lonely fields, woods, and powerline trails of Ryan Park.  Good choice.  The towhee sightings outnumbered humans.  Total time: 1:14:18. 

Tuesday: 0 - I went to the Red Sox game instead. 

Wednesday: 12 miles - Saunderstown Seven Sisters alone.  Solid run.  I can still feel Saturday's run in my legs, and I didn't want to do speedwork and have disappointing splits.  I decided that I would run hills.  My legs felt lifeless on the descents and flats, but I was attacking the uphills with energy.  Cloudy and muggy - 70 degrees.  I had no idea how fast or slow I was going the entire time.  I was pleased with the 7:37 overall pace.  Total time: 1:30:59. 

Thursday: 10 miles - South County Bike Path with TriPond Park & Spring Forward trails alone.  I continue to wait for my legs to fully recover, so again I delayed speedwork.  I parked at the lot off of Rte 108 and ran trails/bike path to the trail around California Jim's Pond and then out to the bike path again.  I hopped onto the Spring Forward course, trying to avoid mud.  I was feeling slow up to this point.  The weather was fantastic.  Once I reached the bike path again, I picked up my pace and was moving pretty well until I reached Genessee Swamp, where I stopped to check out the sights.  I was at 48 minutes, so I headed back, again moving well on the bike path and slower on the trails of TriPond Park.  Total time: 1:15:53. 

Friday: 10+ miles - Carr Pond trails solo.  Good unexpected run.  Well, I knew the terrain would be fun, and the weather was nice, but I didn't have high hopes for my legs.  I was surprised that after about five minutes they loosened up nicely, and I then cruised along at a good clip the rest of the time, only tiring at the end.  I'm getting more comfortable with the myriad of trails, and I keep tweaking my 5 mile out-and-back course.  I utilize the Pinto, Flipper, Water Tank, Upper Spider, and Ridge trails for the most part.  Total time: 1:16:08. 


Saturday: 8+ miles - Burlingame trails alone.  After an extremely busy day, I was able to get away for an hour before it got dark.  I left my house and ran the 1 mile of road to the southern park entrance on Shumankanuc Hill Rd.  My legs still don't feel 100%, but I was happy with the 7:02 hilly mile.  I entered the woods and then took a left onto the Sammy C extender.  The weather was amazing, and I could still feel the sun on the open rocks.  I successfully suspended negative thoughts about large predatory animals (perfect time for them) and enjoyed the terrain.  I continued straight onto Sammy C's.  Kind of muddy out there.  I reached the Vin Gormley trail and then turned right.  I was now feeling strong, and I was moving well.  I can't help thinking about the Li'l Rhody Runaround when I'm on this section.  Even though it was getting darker, I was able to seemlessly negotiate my lines through the rock gardens and other obstacles.  After a week of tired legs, I was feeling confident again.  I stayed on the VG trail until it spills out onto Buckeye Brook Road.  Instead of backtracking on the trail, I hit the road.  All uphill for over a mile.  I attacked the hill and felt strong.  Near the old farmstead is the 1 mile mark from my house.  I made a point to check my watch.  I continued the more gradual climb and then held on for the fast descent and then steep ascent back to my house.  Last mile 6:28.  Total time: 59:22.  Great run. 

Sunday: 0 - I spent the entire day outside at my house with an afternoon trip to the beach.  I couldn't motivate myself to put on my wetsuit and bodyboard the decent waves.  At night, I could have run, but what I thought were allergies were really bothering me, so I didn't. 

Overall: An unexpected recovery week from the long trail run last weekend.  A good variety of locations.  No speedwork, but good hillwork.  No long run.  I seem to be dealing with a head cold, so I'm not sure how this coming week will start. 

Weekly Total: 49 miles
Last Week: 60 miles
Year to Date: 1087 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment