Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Weekly Log 11-5-12 to 11-11-12

Quick note:  I am hopelessly obsessed with running right now.  Can't get it out of my head.  Please help! 

Monday: 10 miles - NK roads with Calf Pasture Point beach and trails mixed in alone.  Tis the season to run on the beach, so I headed out to the bike path today.  I made it a point to ignore my watch and just enjoy the run, which I did, except when I was running into the cold wind (low 40's), and when a collie ran after me (I had to go into loud deep voice mode and repeatedly tell it to go back to it's home).  Low 7's for the roads and a little slower on the beach.  Total time: 1:13:12. 



Tuesday: AM 8 miles - Election Day workout with the original track crew: Galoob, Muddy, Jeff, and Ben.  We got the band back together for this chilly 6:30AM workout - 24 degrees.  We met at CCMS, and caught up on a slow warm up.  We didn't communicate our intentions, but I knew we were all there to get some serious speedwork in.  Mike talked us into 4x200 followed by 3x300 and then some more 200's.  The plan was to run all at "speed glide" pace, except for the last 200 (1st set) and 300.  These were to be all out as a baseline for our current fitness.  I was a little nervous going in as my lungs felt taxed in the cold air (clearly not acclimated yet) and I had the least fresh legs of the bunch.  I didn't need to worry, and running as a group really helped.  Mike would be ahead, but the rest of us all stuck together for the most part.  The all out 200 and 300 had a bit of a race feel to them.  Mike tricked us into running a 4th 300 which really hurt.  We finished with two smooth 200's.  Results:  4x200: 37/36/36/31 4x300: 52/52/50/52 4x200: 36/33.  Jeff then talked us into running a cool down through the nearby trails which was fun.  Total time: 70 minutes. 

              PM 9 miles - Rome Point trails and beach recovery run.  I slipped out in the afternoon for a nice run in the chilly, but sunny weather (42 degrees).  I zigzagged to the point (about 2.5 miles) and then ran the shoreline south for 2 miles to Plum Beach.  It was a little colder with the wind on the way back, but a nice run.  I finished the way I started.  Total time: 1:12:41.  It was good to double today since the weather looks iffy the next two days. 

Wednesday:  0

Thursday: 12 miles - SK trails and bike path at night with Aaron, Mike G, and Brian M.  The weather during the day was terrible again with the nor'easter, and I wasn't feeling a daytime run.  I was hoping to meet up for the 5:30PM Big River run, but I needed to go right home after work.  Strike 2.  Then I received an email from Aaron regarding one of his famous Squatch Runs beginning at 8PM.  Perfect!  By the time we started the wind had really died down and the temperature had actually climbed up to 40.  We met at Old Mtn Field, and began running the new trails there.  It became apparent that Brian and I had crappy headlamps, Mike's was good, and Aaron's was obnoxiously strong.  I had a different one in my car, so I swapped it out after a loop, but although a little brighter, the strap broke, so I had to hold it in my hand the rest of the night.  Rookie mistake.  I need a good headlamp!  After a mile or two Brian fell pretty badly and decided to head back.  The three of us continued on through the twisty trails until we had to run roads to the bike path.  I could relax on the pavement as I didn't have to watch out for obstacles.  We then did the trails on the south side of Tri-Pond Park.  This took a ton of concentration, but was really fun.  We returned to the bike path and then cut through some of the Spring Forward trails to more roads that led to Potter Woods.  We looped around the trails in the park and then ran mostly bike path back to Old Mtn Field.  My legs were defintely tiring the last couple of miles, but that's probably normal since I ran for an hour and 45 minutes two days after a hard workout.  Bring on more night runs! 




Friday: 10 miles - Ryan Park trails alone.  The plan today was to run easy most of the time, but then push a couple of new Strava segments that popped up recently.  I figured this would fit in with my running schedule (probably running a 5K on Sunday).  I parked at the athletic fields and felt slow for the first few miles.  It was nice to be out in the sun and decent temperature.  I spooked a great blue heron in an overgrown creek which was strange.  The trails have held up well here after the two big storms, but there is a lot of hurdling to do.  One exception is a short trail section near the powerline that I don't run very often.  I tried it out today and it was littered with snapped oaks.  Just a mess.  This trail will probably never be used by humans again.  Anyway, I could tell that my pace was picking up and soon it was time for the first interval - .9 miles on the old railbed.  I felt like I was running at 5K or faster effort, but my watch was showing 7:40 then 7:12 pace.  About 3/4 of the way through, my watch suddenly showed 5:50's pace.  That seemed better.  I took it slow and recovered before embarking on the second interval - .3 miles on a rooty single track.  I pushed the pace, but the technicality was keeping it slower.  I completed the segment and jogged it back to my car.  Total time: 1:11:44.  After uploading the data, my railbed pace was 5:51 and the roots pace was 6:41. 




Saturday: 0

Sunday: 10 miles - Setting the Pace for Conservation 5K - 17:22, 2nd overall.  See separate write up. 

Overall:  Two days off, but still almost got 60 miles in.  Great variety.  Highlights were the track workout, night run, and 5K. 

Weekly Total: 59 miles
Last Week: 66 miles
Year to Date: 2,587 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment