Friday, July 12, 2013

Weekly Log 7-8-13 to 7-14-13

Very busy week ahead which includes the much anticipated Run with the Beavers trail race on Saturday.  Here's the breakdown. 

Monday: 10 miles - Ryan Park trails alone.  I was super busy at work and was only looking for a few miles, but as usual I kept adding on as I went along.  I didn't know it was so hot out and did not carry water (or have any in my car).  Turns out it was 90 degrees and sunny.  Oops.  I felt fine on the run, but was getting thirsty at the end.  I decided to buy Gatorade on the way back to the office.  Not great planning, but the run was the mental relief I needed.  Total time: 1:16:33. 

Tuesday: 14 miles in two runs.  I met up with Muddy, Nate, and Chris G at the CHS track for an early workout (5:45AM).  It was muggy, but not hot.  We all warmed up together for two miles on the track and then all did the same workout: 2x800/6x200.  The goal for me was mile race pace on the 800's and then crank the 200's.  400 recovery between the 800's, 800 recovery before the 200's, 200 recovery for 200's.  Results: 2:30/2:29/33/32/32/32/32/32.  Really satisfied with the workout today.  Chris helped pace the 800's with his non-GPS watch.  I feel that a sub-5 mile is doable next week.  The 200's felt good too.  I didn't like finishing on the curve - should have started on one instead.  Everyone had a good day out there.  Two mile group cooldown on the track.  7 miles in 54 minutes.  In the afternoon, I ran another 7 miles in Rome Point nice and easy.  It was rather hot and muggy again, but cooler in the shade.  Total time: 59:34. 




Wednesday: 8 miles - Big River trails alone.  I was feeling rather beat the day after the track workout.  My plan was a mellow hour on trails.  Nothing in NK sounded appealing, so I snuck off to Big River for an out and back on the Lego Trail.  After the initial shock of waking my legs up, I began to feel rather good, and I needed to go fast enough to allude deer flies.  My pace quickened, and was running on the hardish side.  I finished Lego Trail and kept running for a few minutes slowly to recover.  I knew from my time that I had set the CR if GPS lined up correctly (it did not 6 weeks ago when I ran it even harder).  I ran the trail in reverse at a slower pace.  Luckily I had killed most of the deer flies on the way out, so I wasn't getting harrassed.  Total time: 1:04:02.  When I uploaded the data the GPS didn't match again!  Stupid space watch. 



Thursday: 0.  4th annual charter fishing trip with my dad, brothers, brother-in-law, and Muddy.  We dodged the heavy rain and thunderstorms and caught our limit of stripers and fluke.  No time to nap or run in the afternoon as we hosted a dinner for everyone (20 people) at night. 

Friday: 7 miles - Ryan Park trails alone.  This was just an easy cruise on the classic 7 mile course.  Much drier air today and breezy.  I hope tomorrow is like this for the race.  Total time: 55 minutes. 

Saturday: 15 miles - Run with the Beavers 10M Trail Race - 2nd overall, 1:09:54.  Awesomely challenging race with my family.  Team Hammboj for the win.  Separate write up to follow. 




Sunday: 0 - nada

Weekly Total: 54 miles
Last Week: 60 miles
Year to Date: 1654 miles

1 comment: