Thursday, October 17, 2013

Weekly Log 10-14-13 to 10-20-13

This week should be a fairly normal training week for me.  The weekend is still a bit up in the air as the kids have early soccer games on Saturday and then we are heading up to Boston.  I might get to race the Run for the Pumpkins 5K in Westerly on Sunday morning.  It's a tough course with a 100' climb mixed in.  I kind of like it.  We'll see. 

Monday: 4.5 miles - Carter Preserve trail loop with my wife in the morning.  Very chilly start - 38 degrees.  We ran the normal loop a little faster than we did back in the summer. 



In the afternoon we took the kids to a local corn maze and I decided to record it on GPS. 




Tuesday: 10 miles - Gilbert Stuart Road hill repeats alone.  My legs (hamstrings in particular) were sore for some reason, but I decided to stick with my plan of hills.  Repeating the baddest hill around rather than the usual round of Saunderstown hills was the more appealing option.  The weather was sunny and mid 60's.  The foliage is about at its peak right now and I enjoyed my views (when I wasn't climbing) on this pleasant quiet road.  My plan was 4 or 5 repeats, going a mile each way.  After 3, I decided 5 would be attainable.  I kept my pace consistent and climbed under control.  Each repeat got faster which I was pleased about.  Results (mile up/mile down) (7:39/7:08)(7:22/7:09)((7:21/7:01)(7:12/6:59)(7:05/6:37).  Each mile up has about 225' of climbing. 



Wednesday: 10.5 miles - Ryan Park trails alone.  I kept the pace brisk throughout the entire run.  I felt a bit rushed for some reason.  The day was fantastic for running.  I ended up going longer than I planned and I was tempted to call it 11 miles. 



Thursday: 8 miles - early morning track with Galoob, Nate, and Brian.  Another dark run on the track until near the end.  A new guy, Brian, joined us and I had no idea what he looked like the first 45 minutes.  This was the 2nd week of the MacMillan 10K workout plan.  10-12 400's @ 5K pace with 200 recoveries.  My target was 80.  It took a couple of reps to get consistent.  Results: 78/82/80/79/79/79/79/80/77/78/77/75.  Pretty good workout.  My legs were rather lifeless thanks to the previous two days, so it was nice to nail the workout. 

8 miles in the afternoon - Rome Point trails and beach solo.  Warm, humid, and cloudy.  My legs felt good and since the tide was low, I was able to run the shoreline south pretty far.  I love these double days! 



Friday: 17 miles - North Kingstown roads (3 miles dirt) alone.  Pushing the boundaries of a lunch break, I got in a rather long run this afternoon.  I decided to run from the office and chase quantity of miles versus driving to Big River for quality.  I have to say I didn't love being on the roads.  At least the GPS is accurate.  I knew I was in for some sort of sufferfest thanks to the double yesterday (including speed work).  I figured the lovely autumn day would make up for some of the pain, which was sort of true.  I was a bit impatient watching the miles tick off my watch.  During mile 8, my glasses fell off my head when I was wiping the sweat out of my eyes with my shirt, so I did the rest of the run without them, which included some easy wide trails in Ryan Park.  The positives were that the last miles felt the same as the rest of them.  My pace was okay - I was running on the uncomfortable/comfortable threshold throughout.  I didn't bring water or fuel and didn't need it.  The weather was fantastic.  The run was drama-free.  The negatives were the roads, tired legs, and a wind that always felt in my face. 



Saturday: 8 miles - local roads in the early AM alone.  Busy day on tap and my window to run was going to be before the sun rose.  I was out the door at 6.  It was very dark except for the full moon.  I enjoyed watching it as I ran my loop.  It was interesting (and a little annoying) to see how many cars were out on the road at this hour on a Saturday.  I was also surprised (pleasantly) to still see the full moon in the sky after I thought it was supposed to set. 



Sunday: 6 miles - Westerly Run for the Pumpkins 5K, 2nd place - 17:45.  Separate write up with the Charlestown FOP race to follow. 




Overall: High volume and intensity week.  I'll take it. 

Weekly Total: 72 miles
Last Week: 51 miles
Year to Date: 2602 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment