Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Weekly Log: 7-6-15 to 7-12-15

Trying to get in a good strong week before upcoming July races (Run with the Beavers 10M Trail Race on 7/18 and Blessing of the Fleet 10M Road Race 7/25). 

Monday: 10 miles - Big River loop alone.  This was a good run in the woods on a hot day.  I was annoyed a couple of miles in when I realized my GPS had stopped tracking me.  My goal was to run some middle trails (Allen's Ave, Dumbo, I See Dead People) and then finish up on the new single track that begins at Tarbox Pond.  As the run progressed, I was thinking a swim in the pond was in order.  Unfortunately, the pond was not looking appetizing where I was, but I did get to see a bald eagle being chased by a crow.  I did splash myself in the connecting stream before summiting to the parking lot.  Total time about 1 hr 20 min with about 1,000' of climbing (guessing). 

Tuesday: 15 miles on two runs.  First, I met up with Galoob at the CCMS track at 7AM.  The plan was for me to run 400's at my R pace (74s) while he ran mile repeats at the same pace.  My legs weren't feeling very spry after my busy weekend of running, but I managed to hit my target on most.  Results: 74/75/72/74/74/74/75/73/74/74 with 2-2:30 minute recoveries.  3 mile warm up with strides and 1 mile cool down.  In the early afternoon I shuffled around Rome Point trails for a few more miles.  This time I did find a good spot for a swim which felt delicious. 

Wednesday: 10.5 miles - road/dirt/trail loop from the Cuttyhunk Preserve parking lot.  HHH day (87 degrees at the start and sunny, 85 and cloudy at the finish).  This was a new loop to me that included my first time running on some paved roads in Exeter.  I did include Pardon Joslin Rd and Stony Lane for my unimproved dirt road fix.  Finished on trails in Cuttyhunk and a thorough soaking the brook.  Beat the thunderstorms that followed.  Total time: 1:20:54 with 578' elevation gain. 

Thursday: 10 miles - road out-and-back in EG/NK.  I began from the park and ride on Rte 2 near Rte 4 and headed up the long South Rd hill.  I turned left on Narrow Lane and then descended down Stony Lane (paved here).  I crossed Rte 2 and continued south on Stony Lane until I hit 5 miles.  I then turned around and retraced my steps.  Two good climbs on an easy day.  Total time 1 hr 15 min with 550' of climbing. 

Friday: 11 miles - 10K trail tempo in Ryan Park alone.  I haven't been in Ryan forever.  I guess because there aren't good hills, but the trails are very fun.  I planned to do the Belleville Pond Trail 10K course as a hard tempo.  With the Beavers race coming up, I wanted to get in a sustained trail effort like this.  I've done this workout in the past and my best tempo time was 40 minutes flat.  That was my goal today, although it was HHH again.  My warm up went a little long (close to 3.5 miles) because I ran too far before doing my planned field strides.I then regrouped at my car, drank water, stretched a little, all while listening to RATM's "Know Your Enemy".  I needed to pump myself up!  I then jogged over to the basketball court and got to work.  My run was nearly derailed 1 minute in when a truck blocking my path (after passing the first ball field) distracted me and I had a spiky vine rake across my mouth.  I was worried I was bleeding and going to look pretty sketchy for a few days (turned out to be okay).  I kept going, trying to be consistent.  I had one more distraction when I came upon a woman with 3 dogs on the rail bed (2 were leashed, all were energetic).  I had to go off the trail to avoid being jumped on and was knocked out of my rhythm.  I continued on to the fields and the slow hill climb/side trail on the power line.  I regrouped and ran a steady pace on the Rte 4 trail, but I wasn't thrilled that I was only half way done.  Luckily the 2nd half went by more smoothly.  I was in a good groove on the single track and the rail bed.  I made a final push at the end and finished a few ticks above 40 flat.  I was pleased.  And disgustingly sweaty.  I jogged a not quite 2 mile cool down and then drove to my in-laws (to meet up with my family) and swim. 

Saturday: 15 miles - Arcadia loop with Woolley.  Ryan was looking to see more of Arcadia and I was happy to have company on a long trail run.  We began from the church and ran a fun loop that included some trails I had just figured out a couple of weeks ago SE of Breakheart Pond, and then looped around the Browning Mill Pond/I95 section, and finishing up along the side of Bald Hill.  The pace was quick at the start, but either we slowed down or I acclimated to it after a while.  Time was passing quickly as we chatted, trying not to pay attention to the buzzing deer flies.  We ran into one person the entire run.  She had 3 dogs and after we snuck by, we got attacked by yellow jackets (probably agitated by the dogs that just went through).  We both got a few stings, but nothing serious.  We were getting thirsty by the time we reached our cars after 2 hours.  924' of climbing. 


Sunday: 1.5 miles - barefoot beach run with Brett in Watch Hill.  Fun day on the beach with close friends.  This was just and out-and-back to Taylor Swift's house, not nearly as long as Mike B's usual route (yes, I did see him but he was hard to recognize with a hat, glasses, and shirt).  I even did some open ocean swimming (too pathetic to record) since there were no waves today.  Many stripers could be seen in the shallows where we were. 

Weekly Total: 73 miles
Last Week: 56 miles
Year to Date: 1,923 miles
July Total: 111 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment