Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Weekly Log 1-17-11 to 1-23-11

Monday: 8.5 miles - Shumunkanuc Hill roads alone.  I got this run in after returning home from our trip to Boston and drinking some coffee for extra motivation.  I decided to do a very hilly route and do it pretty fast.  I changed my course slightly to get a true 8 miles in, but overshot it.  I felt strong the entire run and enjoyed the late afternoon chill - 20 degrees.  Total time: 57:50. 

Tuesday: 0 - not sure where I could run even if I wanted to get something short in - roads were ponds with the sleet and rain.  My legs were tired anyway. 

Wednesday: 9.5 miles - Saunderstown roads solo.  I repeated my run from last week with a few tweaks.  I found a new exclusive shoreline neighborhood along the way.  I was feeling rather sluggish the first 6 miles.  I perked up attacking the hills of South Ferry Road and carried it through the last 3 miles.  It was cool to see bluebirds in a snowy field of Casey Farm.  Total time: 1:10:10. 

Thursday: 8 miles - Calf Pasture Point trails 2.5M & beach 2.5M with Quonset roads 3M alone.  I wanted to try some trails today before more snow tomorrow.  I thought with the rain and above freezing temperatures the snow cover would be tolerable with Yaktrax on my trail shoes.  Wrong!  The trail (usually a road) out to the beach was covered in 4 or 5 inches of thick, wet, crunchy, annoying snow.  I didn't mind the extra effort or the slow pace.  It was that the footing was so tricky that I couldn't even look up for a second without taking an awkward step.  I was closing in on the beach when I heard two fish crows somewhere nearby - I couldn't risk looking up to verify.  The beach was wonderful.  Lots of birds, sunshine, and a mild (for January) temperature.  Even the wind wasn't an issue except for the southern end.  I hit the snow again, and by the time I was almost back to my car, I was cursing it under my breath.  I decided to take off the Yaktrax and run a couple of miles on the roads.  My five mile trail run was at over 9 minute mile pace.  Yikes.  I took the road out towards Allen's Harbor and explored the public access points (NK town dock, Spink's Neck beach).  Total time: 1:06:41. 

Friday: 8 miles - Saunderstown roads with Dan.  I was planning on 5-8 inches of snow and no run, but instead I was greeted to 2" and an awesome 8 mile run with Dan.  Another nice day - sunny, 34 degrees, but with a decent NW wind.  Total time: 61:21. 

Saturday: 4 miles - Shumunkanuc Hill roads alone. I snuck out for a quick run at 3PM. I left the watch at home, but still ran fast knowing we had guests coming over soon. Despite the obnoxious media telling me how cold it was, 26 degrees with sun and no wind made for a glorious January day. My wife and son did an awesome hike today as well. Lots of tracks - none human (except theirs).





 
Sunday: 0 - nice long hike with my son around our woods.  I found a oak tree near my house with two huge oval holes - definitely made by Pileated Woodpecker(s).  Pard says they may be roosting in there, and maybe nesting!

Overview:  Weather again is making life challenging for runners.  I'm very happy with my efforts despite not getting in true speed workouts or long runs.  I feel like every run is a hill workout!  I want to change it up, but we'll see with another midweek snowstorm brewing.   

Weekly Total: 38 miles
Last Week: 38 miles
Year to Date: 126 miles

2 comments:

  1. Thursday sounds nice Jonny....who cares about the pace?!? I love the names of the places....i'm so ignorant/never been there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photos of Mr J's hike!

    ReplyDelete