Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Weekly Log 1-3-11 to 1-9-11

Monday: 9 miles - Ryan Park trails alone.  I wore my Yaktrax as I could see ice/snow conditions on parts of the trail.  A great run to start the year.  Total time: 63:44. 

Tuesday: 10 miles - Calf Pasture Pt/Quonset Bike Path roads 6M, beach 2.5M, trails 1.5M alone.  Warmish today - near 40 degrees and low tide.  Parts of the roads were ice covered which slowed me down at times.  The highlight was running the beach at low tide.  The lowlight was having to shout (pleasantly) at a guy to leash his Akida (or whatever mankiller dog it was).  The thing definitely wanted to shred me to pieces - it should not have been loose (plus it was scaring off the wildlife).  Total time: 1:16:10. 

Wednesday: 8 miles - Wickford roads solo.  My body seemed a bit tired and I decided to take it easy today.  I ran my normal pace which toes the line between comfortable and uncomfortable.  I was surprised to be slightly under 7 minute mile pace most of the way.  I did cross that line on the last mile and ran it in 6:14.  It's really nice to see my easy pace creep slightly below 7.  Total time: 54:36. 

Thursday: 6 miles - Ryan Park trails alone.  I was hoping to get in a longer run either yesterday or today, but my legs haven't been up to it.  I was happy to be outside on a crisp, yet windless winter day.  Parts of the trail were ice footprint covered and really slowed my run down to a trudge.  After 2 miles I was mentally and physically dragging, but I got it together and had a nice finish.  Total time: 46:06. 

Friday: 11 miles - Calf Pasture Pt/Quonset Bike Path roads 7M, beach 2.5M, trails 1.5M alone.  My body felt alot fresher today and I decided to repeat (sort of) my run from Tuesday.  Not as many icy spots, but the bike path especially had its moments.  I was hoping for a snowy run, however the sun was out for most of it.  Highlights included no dogs, only 3 humans - an elderly couple I see walking the beach frequently, a fast female runner who may have been doing some sort of speed workout on the bike path, 100+ brant, and 6 sandpipers (probably sanderlings).  I pushed the last two miles (measured on bike path) for fun and completed them in 13:11 (with slow icy spots).  Total time: 1:22:33. 

Saturday: 0 - 4" new snow - lots of bird activity including 2 pileated woodpeckers!




Sunday: 6 miles - Shumunkanuc Hill roads solo.  More snow overnight (3"), but the roads were mostly black-topped in the morning when I ran.  I debated wearing a watch knowing that if I brought one, I would race myself, and if I didn't, I would have a relaxing run (except for all the hills!).  My wife talked me into the latter, rationalizing that weekend runs should be easy and enjoyable - save the hard stuff for the weekdays.  Good plan.  Untimed....
Weekly Total: 50 miles
Year to date: 50 miles

2 comments:

  1. Off to a nice start T-bone!! Nice job. Don't fear the Akitas. Best course of action is to ATTACK!! Go for the throat. Show it who is boss...

    ReplyDelete