Thursday, January 12, 2012

Weekly Log 1-9-12 to 1-15-12

Monday: 7 miles - Rome Point trails alone.  My legs felt tired for the first time this year, and this run was just an easy effort to mostly get outside and clear my mind.  Rome Point is hopping this time of year with seal peepers.  I've had fun mixing up my usual routine by zigzagging on the loneliest single track and running on the beach.  The tide was extremely low thanks to the full moon.  Fun run.  56 minutes. 

Tuesday: 7 miles - Ryan Park trails with Dan. We parked at the athletic fields so that we could run the upcoming 10K course.  My legs were tired again, and we kept the pace on the slow side.  I enjoyed the company and the nice weather, but I turned my bad ankle early on and tried to baby it the rest of the way.  Total time: 55:21. 

Wednesday: 10 miles - track workout at CHS with Muddy and Galoob.  I was able to get in a late afternoon run with these guys.  The track was full of high school athletes and we asked Coach H permission to run, which was enthusiastically granted.  Muddy and I decided to do the Boj workout from two weeks ago - 1x1600, 2x800, 4x400.  Mike went out strong and made the mile look effortless.  I was behind Muddy by a few seconds most of the way, but felt like I was moving well.  I guess I was since I ran 5:27 which is new PR by 9 seconds.  Muddy ran a 5:18!  We can only speculate how fast Mike's mile was, but he finished way before us.  We ran a two lap recovery, and then began the 800's.  Again, Mike was making it look easy as I struggled around the track.  It paid off as I ran a 2:43 (workout PR) and 2:48.  Mike was running short on time so he did the first 400 with us, a 200 on his own, then left.  Muddy and I finished the 400's as darkness crept in.  My times: 78, 78, 79, 77.  Overall, my times were slightly faster than two weeks ago.  I obviously overdid the mile, but it's my favorite.  The 400's felt easier this time.  By the time I was finishing my cooldown, I began to feel woozy and hungry.  I don't know if this is considered bonking or not. 

Thursday: 0 - I needed a day off and the rain helped me stick to it. 

Friday: 8 miles - Ryan Park trails with Gip.  It was good to have a partner out there today.  We got out early enough that the temperature was okay (40's), but the winds were howling.  We ran the new 3 mile loop (with one detour around a giant puddle/pond) and then turned around and ran it in reverse.  Total time 44 minutes.  I then headed down through the woods on the straight trestle trail at a decent clip for one mile (7 minutes), and then ran back at a faster pace (6:20).  I had planned on a couple more miles today, but it made sense to stop with the crazy weather and the long early morning run tomorrow. 

Saturday: 16 miles - Pawcatuck roads and Barn Island trails with Jeff and Muddy.  We met at the YMCA in downtown Westerly at 6AM on a chilly morning (mid 20's and windy).  Jeff was the course designer today and it was a fun one.  We ran through downtown Westerly and Pawcatuck before using residential roads to connect to the trails at Barn Island.  I was really impressed with the variety and quantity of trails here.  There were plenty of single track in woods plus wider lanes through large marshes.  On a warmer day, I can imagine this place is full of wildlife.  I was a little wary of the trigger happy duck hunters we ran into.  I don't think you're supposed to just be firing your gun over and over again for 30 minutes.  Jeff mixed in some hills as we worked our way back along the river.  I felt stronger today than previous long runs.  The pace may have been a little less aggressive or I just had less miles on my legs this week.  Total time: 2:01:29. 

Sunday: 0 - family trip to the RISD Museum in Providence and lunch at Olga's.  Despite the frigid temperature we got outside to play tag in the yard. 

Overall:  Kind of a light week, but the track workout and long run were excellent. 

Weekly Total: 48 miles
Last Week: 65 miles
Year to Date: 113 miles
Last Year: 2501 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment