Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Weekly Log 10-28-13 to 11-2-13

Here's a recap of last week's running: 

Monday: 9 miles - Pardon Joslin Rd (dirt) hill workout alone.  I was feeling really good a day after the FOP 5K and decided to run hills.  I thought running the two hills on Pardon Joslin Rd would be fun as it is a quiet dirt road (unimproved on the east side, improved on the west).  My body was beginning to fatigue by the time I was ready to run, but I carried out the plan.  I ran the hills at a steady pace (I did not charge up them).  I ended up with 1145' of elevation gain in 9 miles.  Solid workout.  Negative splits on both climbs. 




Tuesday: 9 miles - Ryan Park trails with Dan.  We vowed to keep the pace easy today and succeeded.



Wednesday: 9 miles - Big River trails alone.  A gorgeous day in the woods.  Plenty of foliage (beech and oaks) and lots of leaves on the trails.  No humans.  I ran the half marathon course for most of this run before heading back to my car.  Fun easy pace.



Thursday: 15 miles on two runs.  In the morning, post Red Sox victory, I met up with Galoob and Garvin on the track.  Late start (6AM), but still pitch black.  The plan was to do a 5K time trial (as suggested on the MacMillan 10K training plan).  I was excited about this workout earlier in the month, but the heavy load of workouts the last 10 days had me doubting this one.  After a 3 miles warm up it was time to give it a shot.  My plan was to run my aggressive 5K goal pace (I've been training at on the track) and see how long I could hold on.  I couldn't hold it for even a lap.  My legs were flat and I was picturing my brother yelling at me for over training.  It's true.  I've been doing workouts every other day.  Silly.  Anyway, I kept running laps, thinking I would drop out at 1 mile, 2 mile, 10 laps, etc.  After four laps, I settled into my 10K training pace (5:40) and this revised workout went well.  Even on dead legs, this seemed like a pace I could maintain for 10K.  Result: 17:39. 
 
In the afternoon I headed over to Rome Point for a very easy recovery run.  I debated the merits of this, but the allure of running in the woods/on the beach was too strong.  This run was really enjoyable.


 
Friday: 8 miles - DuVal trail out and back alone.  After getting contacts at the eye doctor, I headed over to Perryville to try them out on the trails.  I enjoyed being able to see clearly in my periphery.  It was windy and mild, but a fun run.



Saturday: 8 miles - Burlingame trails alone in the morning.  I had an hour between breakfast and soccer to get a run in so I headed out to the hilly trails of north Burlingame.  It was sunny and spectacular colors in the woods.  I had the park to myself.  Next weekend it will be trail runner hunting season.  My pace was rather peppy throughout.  703' of elevation gain.



Sunday: 12+ miles - Narragansett Trail (Wyassup Lake to almost Lantern Hill) with Galoob.  Mike had contacted me the day before about doing a hilly, technical run somewhere.  We decided with my time limit (be home by 9AM), that we would run in Pachaug on the Narragansett Trail.  We did a segment (maintained by Crutchley) that we both had never run before.  The plan was to park at Wyassup Lake and head west to Lantern Hill and back.  The trail was everything we had hoped.  Technical pretty much the entire way, with lots of leaves down adding to the challenge.  Great views along a ledge above Yawbux Valley.  We reached Rte 2 after 30 minutes and I was beginning to wonder if we had enough time to summit Lantern Hill.  We continued on, and picked up the pace on this easier trail section.  We reached another road, but had to turn around unfortunately before the big climb up Lantern.  The way back was easier to navigate and we took turns pushing the pace.  We will be back!



Overall: Really fun week of running in the woods.  The weather has been great.  I will continue to drop down the number of workouts as Li'l Rhody approaches.

This was the final leaderboard for the Trail Animals Running Club on Strava last week.  I ran a lot, for a long time (I was tops in running time too - JG total was minutes not hours), and a lot of hills.  Can't beat a mountain goat at his own game.

Last Week's Leaders

DistanceTotal Running TimeClimbing
Jonny Hammett
63.7 mi
Jason Gray
34 h 8 m
Kevin Tilton
5,041 ft
Jerimy Arnold
62.1 mi
Jonny Hammett
9 h 13 m
Jonny Hammett
4,225 ft
Robert Jackman
60.2 mi
Jerimy Arnold
8 h 49 m
Chad Stashek
3,337 ft

Weekly Total: 70 miles
Last Week: 66 miles
Year to Date: 2738 miles

2 comments:

  1. Cool stats. Only the mountain man from North Conway got more elevation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonny, glad you guys liked the trail! Have to get you up to Lantern, though, it's a gem and has trails all over it...great for a short, intense workout.

    ReplyDelete