Monday, June 9, 2014

Weekly Recap: 6-2-14 to 6-8-14

I will get these posts back on track eventually.  Last week I was able to put in three solid workouts, but keep my overall miles on the lower side.  I even took a day off!  I'm highly anticipating the Mount Greylock trail race this coming Sunday, so it'll be an easy week. 

Monday: 10 miles - Ryan Park trails alone.  This was a good mental break and the weather was nice.  I tried to mix up the routine in here and succeeded for the most part.  Total time: 1 hr 20 min. 

Tuesday: 7 miles - T pace workout on the Quonset Bike Path alone.  I was having an extremely frustrating day at work.  I didn't have time for much, but I decided that no matter how my legs were feeling, I was going to run hard.  I got the idea to run the Quonset Bike Path (original portion) both ways hard with a 2 minute break in between.  I was calling it T pace, but I wanted to break my PR for this 2.3 mile stretch, and needed to average mid 5:40's to accomplish this.  It was hot in the sun and windy.  It was one of those days where the wind always seemed like it was in your face.  I managed to run out (east to west) in 13:10 - 5:45 pace (PR).  I jogged for just over two minutes and then headed back in the other direction.  This one felt harder and hotter.  I was able to duplicate my first result: 13:08 - 5:45 pace (another PR).  One mile plus warm up and one mile cool down.  This felt good and definitely helped reduce work stress. 

Wednesday: 10 miles - I pace workout with Galoob at the URI track.  Back to back workouts.  I was excited about this one.  Mike was going to do T pace work, which is the same as my I pace.  Besides the novelty of running with him on the track during a workout, he would also serve as my pacer.  I arrived at URI earlier than Mike  and ended up doing a rather long warm up of 3.5 miles.  My legs were actually feeling better than yesterday, although I was still nervous about maintaining 5:20 pace for 4 to 6 1200's.  The outside track is a mess.  Who knows how old it is and if anyone (besides a random professor or two) uses it.  The surface is asphalt I think that has some rubber remnants on top.  It also had some pot holes and sand.  It worked fine however.  Anyway, the plan was to run 1200's  at 4:00 each (40 second 200's) and then rest for 3 minutes.  What worked better was to run the 1200 with Mike and then jog a lap, turnaround and then start back up with him.  This meant 2 minute and 40 seconds of rest exactly each time.  My legs held up well during the workout.  My mind wavered after a couple reps and during the final one (until Mike demanded I catch up and go ahead of him the last 200).  I ended up doing five 1200's: 4:00/3:59/3:57/4:01/3:56.  This felt great.  I wasn't sure I could pull this off and I did without overdoing it.  Total time: 66 minutes. 

Thursday: 11.5 miles - longish, rather hilly trail recovery run in the steady rain.  I parked at Cuttyhunk, and headed out in the soon to be ending rain (or that's what the radar looked like).  I ran over to Pardon Joslin Rd and then ran loops of single track trails.  The rain didn't let up, and I was soon soaked.  I kept my shirt on because the air temp was rather chilly.  I splashed around for quite some time before making the trek back up the hill and into Cuttyhunk.  I was happy with my time on feet the day after two hard days, and my pace was okay to boot.  Total time: 1 hr 31 min with 769' of climbing. 

Friday: 8.5 miles - 3 x Calf Pasture Point loops alone.  Another easy day.  It was warm and mostly sunny.  I ran three clockwise loops today.  I was tiring by the end, but a decent run.  Total time: 1:05:30. 

Saturday: 15 miles - north Burlingame trails with Vin Gormley 8 mile trail tempo with Muddy.  I figured I'd be running alone as others were racing and I had to be home by 8AM.  Luckily, Muddy was game for some Burlingame action and I threw out the idea of mixing in the Li'l Rhody loop as a trail tempo during our 2 hour run.  We decided to go for it, after about 35 minutes of running on the north side trails.  We were running rather hard, but conversing the entire time.  My legs were fatigued the last three miles, but frankly I was surprised this didn't happen earlier.  We finished up the loop in 53:33!  Pretty darn good.  We then ran back through north Burlingame to return to my house.  Total time: 1:48:39 with 800' of climbing. 

Sunday: 0 - yup, I sometimes take these. 

Weekly Total: 62 miles
Last Week: 63 miles
Year to Date: 1464 miles
June Total: 66 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment