Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Thanksgiving Week: 11-23-15 t0 11-29-15

Thanksgiving week is always a crapshoot running-wise.  Might be good, might be mediocre.  I had no big plans, especially with an unknown weekend schedule. 

Monday: 10 miles - workout on the bike path/Calf Pasture Point.  I got the go ahead to do a small local race on Friday morning.  I wanted to continue to do speedwork for upcoming shorter races, so sneaking in a workout today seemed to make sense.  I couldn't figure out the structure, even while warming up.  I ended up doing a pretty fun workout that took advantage of fast conditions (low tide, firm sand due to overnight rain) around Calf Pasture Point.  After a long four mile warm up I did a mile of sprint-float-sprint on the bike path.  My goal this time was faster sprints and slower floats.  The end result was a 5:55 mile.  I then recovered for half a mile before embarking on a hard effort of the Calf Pasture Point loop (1.1 miles sand, .7 miles double track, .4 miles bike path).  I really nailed this.  I ran it in 13:17 (6:02 ave. pace) which was 1:27 faster than my previous CR.  I was pumped!  After another half mile recovery I did another mile of sprint-float-sprint, again in the same manner as earlier, and again completing it in 5:55.  Short cool down.  Total time: 1:10:20. 

Tuesday: 7 miles - recovery run in Ryan Park.  Late start - very busy at work these days.  I wasn't sure how much daylight I would have.  I didn't want to run on roads or technical trails.  I opted to do multiple simple loops of the main double track trails, fields, and a short road section.  First loop was good, but by the end of the second, it was getting too dark for my poor night vision (no headlamp).  It was amazing to see how many dog walkers were in the park at this hour.  Just full of them.  Total time: 53:01. 

Wednesday: 9 miles - Big River trail loop with Jon Short.  We parked at the Hopkins Hill lot and ran a good counter-clockwise loop.  Fun to show him around and catch up.  Total time: 1:13:14. 

Thursday: 8 miles - Carolina trails with Muddy.  Happy Thanksgiving!  Muddy texted me in the morning for a last minute run.  Nice warm morning in Carolina.  Too many hunters and horses.  Total time: 58:25. 

Friday: 6 miles - Chariho Alumni XC 5K race.  17:40, 4th overall.  This was a small yet super fun event.  I was really happy with my time on this flat cross country course.  I figured I would be just over 18 minutes.  I didn't kill myself, just ran a steady race.  I didn't go out with the lead pack (mostly recent former XC runners plus Matthew Walker) and just settled into my own pace.  After a half mile, I had worked my way up to 4th, a few seconds behind Matthew, a current college All-American, and another former XC standout.  Coach Hab called out our first mile times - 5:30 for me.  Seemed about right.  The lead pack seemed to get slightly closer to me and I debated sprinting to catch up.  They eventually increased their lead by the time we finished circling the far south athletic fields however.  Muddy was on my heels.  I tried to push harder as we neared the final field section.  The leaders were pulling away from me, but I also seemed to have a small cushion on Muddy.  I then entered the track for the final lap plus.  I wasn't feeling great at this point, and I didn't have a good finish in me.  I was waiting for Muddy to catch up and then pass, but it became apparent that it wasn't his day either.  I finished up in a surprising 17:40 on this wheel measured course.  Confidence booster! 

Half mile or so into the race. 


2.5 mile or so mark. 

Finish.  This is why I need to always wear sunglasses. 


Saturday: 13 miles - long trail run in the rain with Muddy.  We ran in the afternoon which is when the rain began.  We parked at Green Falls to do a loop that I remembered as being 2 hours/15 miles.  After a slippery slow start, we cranked along the rest of the way.  We got a little cold and very wet, but still had fun.  Major GPS issues.  The run ended up being faster/shorter than I remembered apparently.  Total time: 1:43:05 with a good amount of climbing - at least on Muddy's watch. 

Sunday: 10 miles - Carter Preserve trails solo.  Early afternoon run.  Good push weaving through all the trails.  One decent fall.  Total time: 1:16:27. 

Overall: Ok mileage, a good workout, a good race, and lots of non-running fun! 

Weekly Total: 63 miles
Last Week: 61 miles
Year to Date: 3213 miles
November to Date: 267 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment